22.6.14

a dangerous cake



This is a dangerous cake.  I know. It doesn't look dangerous.  It's looks like an innocent bundt cake -- retro, simple, and a little boring, but it was really, really good.

I needed to whip up a quick cake last weekend for a birthday brunch and wasn't up to anything which would require whipping egg whites, frosting or decoration.  I had never made a bundt cake, but as soon as I stumbled across this recipe for Chocolate Whiskey Bundt Cake on Epicurious, I dashed out to our local kitchen-wares shop and bought one of these cake pans.  I had planned to drizzle the top with melted white chocolate, but didn't even have time to do that. So I dumped some powdered sugar into a sieve, gave the top a dusting and that was good enough.

The only change I made to the recipe was substituting cognac for whiskey.  The aroma while this thing was in the oven drove us all a bit insane.  Buttery, chocolate, caramelized, boozy, oh my.

I love Epicurious.  Apparently 111 people have left reviews for this recipe, and 94% would make it again.  I would make it again, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)