6.8.12

Garden

Two years ago, tucked into a narrow spot on the side our our house, we created this space for a vegetable garden.  Because of the local deer and rampaging racoons, we decided to enclose the space; however, we still lost all our bean-vines that first year because I planted the vines on the exterior of the enclosure instead of inside.  We have also learned, by trial and error, that this location does not get enough sun to grow zucchini, standard pumpkins or cucumbers.  We lost our zucchini, pumpkin & cucumber vines that first year to powdery mildew.  Last year we planted butternut squash and musque de provence, which are naturally resistant to powdery mildew, but had nary a squash to harvest.

 
This year, based on the successes and missteps from the previous two years, we have narrowed our focus and are only growing three "crops..." (though I had intended to put in some leeks, and never quite got around to it.)

Strawberries...

Tomatoes...

And Blue Lake pole beans... 

Can you see in the top photo of this post how the bean vines have taken over our little garden enclosure?  They're amazing!!  (We've also planted morning glories and a new hydrangea bush, just for fun...)


And every morning, when I check on our little plot tucked into 
the narrow spot on the side of our house, I hum this little chant --

Grass grass grass,
tree tree tree,
leafy leaf leaf,
one two three.

Birdy birdy bird,
fly fly fly,
nest nest nest,
high high high.

Cloudy cloudy cloud,
wind wind wind,
rain rain rain,
mud mud mud.

Doggie doggie dog,
runny run run,
quickie quick quick,
homey home home

Beddy bed bed,
sheety sheet sheet,
sleepy sleep sleep,
dreamy dream dream.

Dancie dance dance,
singy sing sing,
grow grow grow,
biggy big big.
-- Woody Guthrie

5 comments:

  1. How lovely! You're so lucky to be able to grow strawberries! I think it's too hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! I have a sun deficiency here that means a little basil and a few sweet pease, but little else has thrived. The chant is sweet, I don't suppose you'd record yourself so we can hear the tune : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey -- You can hear the chant on the music CD "You are my Little Bird" by Elizabeth Mitchell. It's the final track on the album... I love it!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I love the Guthrie chant - and the photos! It makes me wish for a green thumb. Though, for now, I'll stick with painting gardens. Then I don't have to weed anything. :)

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)