6.8.11

Hope is the Thing With Feathers


The other day I was browsing through a craft store and spotted a little dove-shaped craft punch (in case you go looking for one, it's produced as part of the Martha Stewart Craft line.)  I decided to splurge because I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it...

 I broke out the Mod-Podge and went rummaging around under the kitchen sink for some empty jam jars...

 Then I painted the sides of the jars with Mod-Podge and covered them with paper (I used German Kite Paper for the white lantern and gift-wrap tissue paper for the light blue one...)

 The doves are punched from thin card-stock and the hearts are cut from kite paper.

To apply the doves & hearts, I painted a small area with Mod-Podge and, while it was still wet, I placed the doves & hearts on top. Then, just to make sure everything was stuck in place, I went over the doves & hearts again with more Mod-Podge.  It looked like a disaster when it was wet, but after the Mod-Podge had dried... perfect...

 Doesn't it look lovely with a candle inside?

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;

And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm. 

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
 
 
-- Emily Dickinson

12 comments:

  1. with a candle inside is my most favourite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely idea, Great craft to do with kids too but what's this mod podge you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! :-) Thanks for the good wishes yesterday. My DH isn't feeling very good about the interview. But, he didn't feel great about one of the other 11 that he had, and they still called him back. So, we continue to wait and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I knew just what I wanted to do with it."

    I wonder if I will EVER be able to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet!! I'm not really into scrapbooking, but I bought a tag-shaped punch and am in LOVE...I like this idea of yours and will seek out neat punches now. My kindergartens could manage this, with help! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. its so beautiful. sadly I just saw today you had left a note on my blog oh so long ago...I'm sorry it got caught in my spam filter and I just noticed it today...thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a wonderful project! I think I may need to pick up some Mod Podge sounds like fun!! They turned out very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)