21.6.10

Our Weekend: Greetings from Sebastopol


At least three times a year we head up to Sonoma County to visit our friends in Sebastopol. We met before our children were born and now my friend J. is like a sister to me. Our children are fast friends and have been playing together even from the very beginning... When oldest daughter K. was a newborn, she lay on my 4-month pregnant stomach while Little Mr. bounced around like a little frog beneath her. I'm sure he was saying, "Just you wait until I can come out and play..."

Now J. has 3 children and when we visit, all our little ones dash around through orchards & fields like sprites -- we only hear from them when they're hungry and are tired of eating apples (Sebastopol is famous for Gravenstein apple trees.)

Our friends recently moved from their small house set on 5 acres of apple orchard to a larger house with fewer apple trees. Fewer apple trees will mean fewer apples, but certainly, come autumn, there will be plenty of apples for a gaggle of children and Scarlet the horse. (Do you have any idea how many apples you get from 5-acres of orchard? More apple pie than you can ever imagine!)

The consolation at the new house? This wonderful elm-tree swing...

I love crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, but when I cross it on the way home from visiting our friends in Sebastopol I'm always sad. I miss the grassy fields and grazing dairy cows, I miss the chickens & road-side signs declaring "local honey" or "fresh eggs here", I miss the endless apple trees & beautiful bakeries but most of all, I miss our friends. I hope to see you again soon J., M., K., K. & Z.!

2 comments:

  1. I have friends in Sebastapol, who lived here in NZ for awhile. I can't wait to visit them one day, it looks so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)