25.7.12

File this under Weird and Wonderful

Last February I posted about my balloon-loving toddler.  I am here to report that his balloon obsession continues in full swing.  There are times in our lives when distraction is required (during diaper changes, car rides, etc...), and in these moments, when there is no balloon on hand, we will offer to sing a song about a balloon.  If we are not in the mood to make up a song ourselves, the only balloon-related song Mr. Bloom and I know is Up, Up and Away, first made famous by The 5th Dimension in 1967 and later recorded by other artists such as Nancy Sinatra, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick and Sammy Davis, Jr. The problem with this song is, up until last week, we only knew the first line, so we would sing that one line over, and over, and over, and over (you get the idea...)


So last week, I finally went online and found some clips of the song Up, Up and Away on You Tube. These video-clips should definitely be filed under "weird and wonderful" and I especially like the costumes. I recommend having a look at some other 5th Dimension videos, too -- all their costumes are amazing!


 Did I mention weird and wonderful?  That would definitely apply to this version of Up, Up and Away sung by Nancy Sinatra...  And just in case you were inclined to sing along, here are the lyrics:

Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon?
Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon?
We could float among the stars together, you and I,
For we can fly we can fly...
Up, up and away
In my beautiful, my beautiful balloon
The world's a nicer place in my beautiful balloon
It wears a nicer face in my beautiful balloon
We can sing a song and sail along the silver sky,
For we can fly, we can fly
Up, up and away
In my beautiful, my beautiful balloon
Suspended under a twilight canopy,
We'll search the clouds for a star to guide us.
If by some chance you find yourself loving me,
We'll find a cloud to hide us,
We'll keep the moon beside us
Love is waiting there in my beautiful balloon
Way up in the air in my beautiful balloon
If you'll hold my hand we'll chase your dream across the sky
For we can fly, we can fly
Up, up and away
My beautiful, my beautiful balloon
Balloon...
Up, up, and away.....

If you'll excuse me now, I've got to track down my white miniskirt and Go-Go boots so I can dance along, too!

6 comments:

  1. What about "99 Red Balloons?"

    My son has a bit of a balloon obsession too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Michael always flipped over balloons too! So sweet. Thanks for writing some of your love story at Chocolate Eyes! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is fabulous. i love the photo of your son with balloons. my little is obsessed with birds and ducks and flying animals... there must be something so incredibly freeing about these flying things. as they descend into themselves, these toddlers must still feel so free inside. i wish we could find out, as people, to hold onto that more. thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least balloons can be deflated and put into a pocket or handbag for later. My 9yo is still obsessed with sticks, though not to the same extent as a 18mo to 8yo. He will voluntarily put them down now. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Balloon this film is so beautiful, we fell in love with it when we saw it. your post reminded me of it so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This song reminds me of my very early childhood in L.A. I must've heard it somewhere because I remember humming it all the time! Plus those were definitely trippy days. Thanks for the time warp!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)