18.12.17

paper gingerbread house


I promised my younger son that we would make a gingerbread house.  In anticipation, we got started on a less ambitious project -- a gingerbread house accordion book.


I've been wanting to try THIS tutorial on Susan Gaylord's book-craft blog for a long time; you can find it HERE.


NOTE: The link on Susan's blog to her printable candy-design sheet is broken, so I searched around and discovered coloring sheets with gingerbread house pieces on Jan Brett's blog. You can find them HERE.


We decided to add paper circle faces so our gingerbread folk look less like cookies and more like children who are dressed up as cookies... 


Then we doodled with a black sharpie to add more details, but I kept wishing we had one of THESE white, oil-based paint pens to add details which look like white sugar icing.

For more gingerbread fun, I highly recommend Elisa Kleven's Horribly Hungry Gingerbread Boy plus Jan Brett's Gingerbread Baby and Gingerbread Friends.  Are you planning to make a gingerbread house this winter?  Maybe you will make a paper one, too?!

4 comments:

  1. What lovely, low tech, no-bake gingerbread creations! ( I was going to say that even BEFORE I saw your kind book suggestions .) Thanks,Margaret for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really happy you shared this project, what fun to share working together on this charming gingerbread house and gingerbread children. I would enjoy working with my grandchildren on this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nikki -- You are so very welcome! I hope you have a wonderful time with your grandchildren!
      mb

      Delete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)