17.12.14

upcycled mason jar cozy :: tutorial


How about an idea for making gifts out of old socks?  I'm serious.  I buy Smart Wool socks for my older son because they keep his feet from smelling bad (TMI?), and also because the stripes are cool.  But Smart Wool socks aren't cheap, so when he wears holes in them, I cannot throw them away.  Enter the upcycled-sock mason jar cozy (and the easiest tutorial ever).


SUPPLIES
-- A sock or two with holes worn in the heels and/or toes.
-- Needle and thread
-- Scissors


Step 1 ::  Cut off the top of the socks, just above the reinforced heel.


Step 2 :: If your sock does not have a thick cuff (where the fabric is doubled), turn sock inside out, roll a 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) hem and pin in place.  If your sock does have a thick cuff, turn the sock inside out, bring the edge up to meet the bottom of the cuff, and pin in place.  Use a needle and thread to stitch hem. (If you've never sewn a hem stitch, here's a link for how to do it.)


Step 3 :: All done!  Now you or your gift recipient will not burn fingers on hot jars of coffee or tea (and no one needs to know that their gift originated as an old, worn out sock... shhhh...I won't tell.)



Hey! Are you noticing that cool drinking lid cover in the photo above?  It's called a Cuppow and I love it. You can buy Cuppow lids to fit regular mouth jars or wide mouth jars -- and then you never have to use a disposable cup again.


Another use for old socks?  The cutest knee patches ever for the bluejeans of a certain small boy.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! My teacher friends LOVE drinking from mason jars (and here I use to be looked at so funny). These would make fun, practical teacher gifts!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)