11.5.12

My Favorite Bowl of Soup

Last night I read that Maurice Sendak, author & illustrator of the books Chicken Soup with Rice, Where the Wild Things Are, In the Night Kitchen and so many others, had died.  Faith Pray of the blog Sacred Dirt has written a lovely post in honor of Mr. Sendak, and below I offer my meager tribute -- a re-post of something I wrote back in October:
________________________________

 
This October 
I will read
A book so fine, 
it's pedigreed.
Maurice Sendak's 
famous creed:
Reading once
reading twice
reading chicken soup
with rice.

I've lost count of how many times I've already read this to my wee Bloom today, and I expect to read it a few dozen times more before the day is done.  He stands by the rocking chair and pats the seat, indicating that I should sit down.  He chants, "BAH-bah-bah," which means he wants me to read a book with rhymes, and then he hands me one of our tired, battered, ancient copies.  And so we begin again...

Reading once
reading twice
reading chicken soup
with rice.
_______________________________________
Thank you Mr. Sendak.  You will always be remembered... with love.

4 comments:

  1. *sob* This is still my seven year old's favourite song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken soup for the soul, may he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love this book. Sorry to hear he's passed on. Great author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Bloom! I love seeing how Mr. Sendak's work has touched so many lives! Thank you for sharing my blog post, as well! I so enjoy our blog kindred-ship!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)