14.11.15

acorns & peg dolls


A few weeks ago I received an email from a neighbor.  She was up in the mountains and had spotted some interesting acorns; knowing how I feel about acorns, she asked whether she should bring me some.

 

 I said yes (of course).

 

 Add peg dolls and stir...


 Because around here, everything
inevitably leads back to peg dolls.


Thanks Francine!

note: after some research prompted by the question of a reader (thanks Sharon!), I have learned that these caps are from Notholithocarpus densiflorus, a tree more commonly known as tanoak.  The tanoak is not a true oak but a genetic link between oaks and chestnuts (and it's actually a member of the beech tree family).

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE those little Russian hats! LOL! Did you learn what kind of oak grows them? I have never seen anything like all those little spikes - are they rather sharp or dull spikes? THANK YOU for sharing. Just adorable. Thank Francine for me too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon -- Because of your comment, I looked up the oak, and it turns out that the tanoak is not a true oak but a genetic link between oaks and chestnuts (and it's actually a member of the beech tree family!). So interesting... am glad to have the information. If you want to read more about it, the info is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notholithocarpus

      As for the spikes on the caps, they are not soft; however neither are they sharp. I suppose one could describe them as "dull spikes" as you suggested above.

      Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated as most of the time I wonder whether I'm just talking to myself around here!

      Best wishes,
      mb

      Delete
  2. Like 1960s wild hair do's lol
    love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liniecat -- They do look a bit wild, don't they?!

    Cheers!
    mb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for posting. You've probably heard the phrase: Nature has the best box of crayons. I think we can also say...and the best stash of craft goodies. May the tree spirits bless you always.

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)