18.10.14

a little batty :: tutorial


 

Okay... so yesterday I tantalized you with hints of a tutorial involving knitting and peg dolls.  This is not that tutorial, however, I think you might like this one as well.  Halloween is less than two weeks away. Are you ready to go a little batty?

SUPPLIES
Peg dolls (any size, your choice)
Black paint (I usually use watercolors, but for this project I used acrylics)
Red paint (for the mouths)
Colored pencils (optional, if you want to draw instead of painting the face)
Black felt (or black paper)
PVA or other white craft glue
Fabric scissors
Thin wire (optional)


 STEP 1: Paint your peg dolls, leaving room to add faces.



 STEP 2: Add faces using paint or colored pencils.



STEP 3: Cut ears and wings from black felt

Note: If you are making these with young children, using black paper instead of felt might be easier for them to cut.  The result won't be quite as durable, but the children will enjoy them just as much. (Thank you, Lenka, for the excellent idea!)



STEP 4: (optional) If you would like your bats to be able to hang upside down, cut approx. 4 inches (10 cm) thin wire (I used floral wire, colored black with a Sharpie).  Fold the wire in a "U" shape and glue the bend of the "U" beneath the wings as depicted above.


STEP 5: Glue the wings to the backs & the ears to the backs of the heads of your dolls.


 

 Q: What did one bat say to another?
A: Let's hang around together!


Happy (almost) Halloween...

17 comments:

  1. So imaginative and most anyone could do this yet it is so cute! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Word! These are just beyond! I just might have to dig out the peggies today.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I lovey that chubby one the most. I guess I'll never figure out how anyone paints so cleanly. I can make a mess of anything. Would be fun to give each kidlet one for the holiday. Thank you for sharing your overflowing creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to paint cleanly? good brushes, paint of the right consistency (not too thin and not too thick) and lots & lots of practice!

      Best to you dear Gramerly...

      Delete
  4. As always, you bring delight and joy all in one post! I love these wee batties. Beautiful and inspiring as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Faith! Your latest post, too, is delightful and rather gorgeous (that owl, especially!)
      xo

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing such a sweet tutorial. Love the bats and can't wait to make them and add to the Halloween pegs made from designs in your book. Already purchased in advance your new book. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome Ginny (and I hope you like the new book!)
      mb

      Delete
  6. So we are going to do this with second/third grade at my school. Thinking of paper wings, but felt will last longer. I will keep you posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Yes! I've updated the post per your clever idea!
      xo

      Delete
  7. Fantastic must make them with my grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have a pattern we can trace the wings and ears with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try looking at the photo and drawing your own pattern on a scrap of paper to use as a pattern. Alternatively, you could copy/paste the photo, print it and then use the images as your pattern.

      I hope you have fun making little bats!
      mb

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little bat dolls are so cute!!! I love your peg dolls, Margaret!
    ~Janet

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)