20.3.18

spring

In Just-
spring           when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman
whistles             far              and wee
and eddieand bill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it’s
spring
when the world is puddle-wonderful
-- e e cummings


When I was ten or eleven, I had a teacher who required us to memorize and recite poetry.  It seemed like a strange, old fashioned exercise, but as an adult, I'm glad to have memorized these poems (and continue to be amazed that I can still remember them).  So today, humming through my head are the first lines of the poem by ee cummings, "and it's spring when the world is puddle-wonderful..." (you can read the full poem HERE).


And what could possibly be more "mud-luscious" and "puddle-wonderful" than frogs? Bean bag frogs from THIS pattern over at Purl Soho! I made these guys a few years ago; when they are not flopping around the house, they spend their time reclining languidly on book shelves (and posing as hats).


How are you welcoming spring this year?


2 comments:

  1. I make my students memorize as well. In fact, they memorize the entire 139th Psalm. I love how surprised they are that they can do it. As a treat, they can jump rope when they've memorized various jump rope rhymes. Love the memory, poem and froggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jump rope rhymes are the perfect entree to poetry memorization!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)