18.6.17

a gift


My mother's hair was straight.  Her eyes were brown. Her skin was olive.

My hair is curly.  My eyes are light green.  My skin is pale.

Because of this (and my leggy build), I always thought I favored my father's side of the family.  However, I've spent the past weeks looking through old photos, and suddenly saw what everyone else has been insisting all along;  I am nearly a mirror image of my mother.  I see her in the curve of my cheek, in the line of my chin and the bump on my nose.  I see her in the shape of my eyes and the arc of my lips.

And this is a final gift.  Every time I look in the mirror, I see my mother.

10 comments:

  1. Love and hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful discovery, a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember to smile big at that beautiful face, even through tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see glimpses of so many people in my own and my children's faces...our ancestors live on and on inunexoected places. You're on my mind and in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Peggy, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your mother. I will always remember her warmth, kindness and beautiful smile. I'm so grateful I had the chance to spend a little time with her at Sammy's Bar Mitzvah. Please also give my love and condolences to your dear father and brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so sorry for you. I'm sad for you and I think to you.
    big hugs and big bises
    Christineh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May your memories and reflections bring you comfort and peace. I am sorry for your loss, but glad you had such a wonderful relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you. Grief is such a long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I am so sorry for this farewell (for now). What a tremendous grieving. Sending light.

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)