24.8.16

vancouver



 

 



Last week we were in Vancouver.  Over the past 7 years we've taken local weekend trips but haven't had a proper vacation since 2009.  It seemed like the right time to do something more ambitious than visiting grandparents in LA; my parents were actually with us on this vacation, but Vancouver was a welcome change of scene.

There was so much to delight in Vancouver. I couldn't get enough of the First Nations art & totem poles, and although everything inside the aquarium was gorgeous, my children were mesmerized by the Keys To The Streets piano sitting in the plaza out front. The best part of our trip, however, was the food.  We ate not once, but twice at Touhenboku Ramen, and I sincerely wish we could have eaten at least three times at Ritual. I highly recommend pizza with focaccia-like crust from the Pzazz stall in the market on Granville Island, the brown sugar cookies from The Salty Cookie Co. are not to be missed, and I will forever wax rhapsodic over the marshmallows from Goodmallows (we brought home several bags flavored with Earl Grey tea -- those were my personal favorites -- but all the flavors were rather amazing). 

Have you had any good travels this summer?  But more importantly, what did you eat when you were there?

6 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed our fair city! It is a pretty special city. Hope you make it back for another adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victoria -- I do hope we will make it back soon for more adventures. Do you have any spots you can recommend for our next visit?

    mb

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in North Vancouver (just across the bridge in Deep Cove) and there is so much to do here! Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain, kayaking, hiking, paddle boarding. Next time, I will take you for coffee and a tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! We did visit Capilano Suspension Bridges, and it was beautiful, but horribly crowded. With so many people on the bridges, they rocked and bounced like mad which was terrifying! While we were there I kept saying that I wish we could visit in winter when no one else is there...

      North Vancouver was gorgeous (well... it was all gorgeous). Coffee & a tour sounds amazing!!

      Delete
  4. So glad that you enjoyed your trip to Vancouver. I read that you visited the Vancouver Aquarium. With the beginning of the dolphin hunt September 1st in Taiji Japan I wanted to encourage you to inform yourself about where those captive dolphins and whales come from. Here's a link to Sea Shepherd Cove Guardians http://www.seashepherd.org/cove-guardians/facts.html who have worked tirelessly to try and educate people on the horrific journey that these highly sentient beings go through to spend their life in a tank. The documentaries The Cove or Black Fish are also good sources of information as is Rick O'Barry. Thanks for sharing on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat -- Thank you for the link to the Sea Shepherd site. I am aware of the movies The Cove and Black Fish, but have not seen either. I'm horrified that the practice of slaughtering these gorgeous animals still continues.

      It seemed to me that the focus of the cetacean program at the Vancouver Aquarium is rescue, conservation and research, but perhaps you know more about their work than I do. I loved the aquarium, but also had concerns regarding the cetaceans. The swimming areas for these animals were not large, and it upset me to see them swimming in circles, when their natural behavior would be to swim many miles each day...

      Thanks again for your comment --
      mb

      Delete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)