19.12.10

Angels Watching Over Me


All night, all day,
Angels watching over me, my Lord.
All night, all day,
Angels watching over me.

I've been wanting to create this mobile for a long time...

The inspiration for my mobile was a book called Angels Watching Over Me by Julia Durango with illustrations by Elisa Kleven. The bright collage pictures in this book are full of young angels & old angels, boy angels & girl angels -- it even has an elephant angel, a lion angel and a donkey angel. The angels have wings of water color, lace doilies, colorful origami papers & marbled Italian papers.

I started off by drawing circles (the larger circles are 6 inches in diameter and the smaller ones are 4 3/4 inches in diameter.) I used a ruler to draw lines, creating 4 even quadrants and then drew faces in the centers of the circles where the lines met.

I made copies of my sketches and put my original sketches aside in case I ever want to make another mobile. Then, on my copies, I went over my pencil lines with black pen. I thought about making my angels bright with water color (like Elisa did in her illustrations!) but decided to make this mobile plain white with lots of sparkling, iridescent glitter...

Next, I cut out my angels according to "cut-lines" I've marked in red on the little angel above.

After all the angels were cut out, I added glitter. When the glitter was dry, I crossed the wings in back and inserted slot A into slot B...

Like so.

I got out my sewing kit, ran thread through the back of each wing...

And set my angels to flight!

The inspiration for the text and illustrations in the book Angels Watching Over Me comes from an African-American spiritual:

Sun is a-setting in the West;
Angels watching over me, my Lord.
Sleep my child, take your rest;
Angels watching over me.

All night, all day,
Angels watching over me, my Lord.
All night, all day,
Angels watching over me.

Wishing you endless blessings... May angels always watch over you...

1 comment:

  1. These are so beautiful and fun... very festive... I want them hanging all over my house... I need to be watched, just in case I do smth stupid

    ReplyDelete