6.11.10

Everybody Needs a Rock

Three years ago my mother gave Sweet Child a book called Everybody Needs a Rock by Byrd Baylor. Believe it or not, my mother found this book in box of Cheerios -- it was part of a General Mills program to promote literacy. What a lovely thing to find in a box of Cheerios! The first page reads:

Everybody
needs
a rock.

I'm sorry for kids
who don't have
a rock
for a friend.

I'm sorry for kids
who only have
TRICYCLES
BICYCLES
HORSES
ELEPHANTS
GOLDFISH
THREE-ROOM PLAYHOUSES
FIRE ENGINES
WIND-UP DRAGONS
AND THINGS LIKE THAT --
if
they don't have
a
rock
for a friend.


* * * * *
A few weeks ago Nicole of Gardenmama proposed an "Artful Stone" swap. Each participant would adorn 5 stones however she wished -- with paint, marker, felted wool, crocheted cotton, etc... and then mail those stones to 5 other participants. In return, each participant would receive 5 adorned stones.

I gathered stones on a cold & blustery, Northern California beach. As I approached adorning the stones I thought about my favorite, meaningful words… Love, Joy, Gratitude, Hope, Faith, Peace… I kept coming back to the word “peace” because for me, love, joy, gratitude, hope & faith can lead to peace. Peace in my heart and peace in our world is something I wish for… I chose the image of the wish-flower because, as its seeds fly forth into the world to plant new wish-flowers, so might peace be spread in our world.

And then, I confess I cheated a little and decorated a second stone... As I was rummaging through my stamps, I came across a little set of matrioshka doll stamps made by Sarah Neuburger and felt inspired. In Russian, "matrioshka" literally means "little mother." This made me think about how, across the miles, across generations, across race and culture, the beautiful & overwhelming experience of motherhood is what connects so many women, and in particular, the women participating in this stone-swap. And so I adorned this second stone in celebration of motherhood (secretly, in my mind, I named this project, "Hey mama, you rock!")

Then yesterday (hooray! hooray!) I received a stone in the mail. It's a felted stone from Rachel in Louisiana. You can find lovely spun wool, felted dolls plus handmade soaps & balms over at her etsy shop. This adorned stone is such a sweet thing... the wool is so soft, it makes me want to cradle it in my hands or place it gently into a birds nest to see what will hatch!

Thank you Rachel, for such a beautiful gift and thank you Nicole for arranging such an artful swap...

5 comments:

  1. I love the little rock poem...my big girl has several rock friends so there si no feeling sorry for her!
    I'm getting a little excited to unwrap parcels from the mail man...now where can he be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon --

    Perhaps the postman will show up tomorrow... and meanwhile, apologies for spoiling the surprise (you now know what you will find when you open the little package from California...)

    Meanwhile, I was reading about the Southern Hemisphere Season Exchange on your blog and am contemplating jumping in the "pool!"

    xo
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jump on in, the water is warm over here! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I remember that book in the cereal as well. :) How funny. Thanks for that memory!
    robin

    ReplyDelete