10.10.10

Sometimes Things just Happen

Over the 11 years we've been married, Mr. B. has had 3 cycling accidents, one of which landed him in the hospital with a punctured lung, 4 broken ribs, broken bones in his hand and a knee which required surgery to remove pebbles & grit (he's also fractured his ankle twice... but that was small potatoes.) His mother and oldest brother scold me for "allowing" him to continue cycling. I wish he would stop, too. Every weekend (and twice a week during his lunch break) when he goes out on his bike I say a little prayer. I visualize cars giving him a wide berth. I imagine him maneuvering safely to avoid every root & rock, and then I put it out of my mind or I'd go insane with anxiety. My husband loves cycling and I would never deny him this pleasure.

There's a quote in one of my favorite books, The Passion by Jeanette Winterson: You play, you win. You play, you lose. You play. Her intent behind these words is to say life is a gamble and unless we take risks, we are not fully living our lives.

But once again, my husband is in the hospital, and this time he is not there because of a cycling accident. Wednesday evening he called me from work at the usual time. I picked up the phone expecting my husband to tell me he was on his way home, but this past Wednesday he called to tell me he was having acute pain in the center of his abdomen. He said he'd wait half and hour to see if it would abate and then try to drive home. A half hour later he flagged down a co-worker who happened to have training as an EMT. His coworker did a quick assessment and called for an ambulance. At 11:30 at night, after a CT scan, my husband called to tell me the hospital would find a spot for him in the surgery schedule the next day. I thought to myself, "Surely he must be joking." One minute he has a stomach ache and the next minute he is being scheduled for surgery.

Now my Mr. B. is recovering from surgery and we are waiting for pathology results to find out what we're dealing with. Things are a little difficult around here and I hope you'll keep my husband in your thoughts...

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
-- Albert Einstein

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers of healing go out to your husband..and may you be blessed with loads of strength to get you through this difficult time with so many to care for ans so much on your plate..xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Every once in a while I check your lovely blog. Saw this post and just wanted to reach out to all of you to let you know that you're in our thoughts and prayers. Big hugs to all, Flor

    ReplyDelete