27.10.10

All the Pretty Little Horses

Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleep-y little baby.
When you wake, you shall have

All the pretty little horses...

Blacks and bays, dapples and grays,
Coach & six white horses.
When you wake, you shall have
All the pretty little horses...

I've come across many versions of All the Pretty Horses -- above are the lyrics I like to sing. The words and melody of this lullaby are gentle and peaceful, but its history is terribly sad. The authorship of this lullaby is attributed to an African American slave who was not allowed to tend her own child because she was required to tend the children of her master. It's a bittersweet song and I think the sadness comes through in the melody...

Here's a link to a version sung by Judy Collins if you'd like to hear a bit...

2 comments:

  1. I seem to remember
    when you wake, you'll have sweet cake
    and all the pretty little ponies...

    thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie Anne! Yes, indeed, I've run across those lyrics, too, but the lyrics I posted are the ones I learned first, so they're the ones I sing... Still, who could turn down "sweet cake?" Anything referencing cake is a good thing in my book!

    MB

    ReplyDelete