30.9.10

Reading the Printed Word


Yes, I've been blogging less frequently (Baby B. turns 3 months this coming Monday so things have been a little busy around here...) There's a part of me which misses logging in here and sending out my little thoughts to you. I also miss browsing around and catching up with my favorite blog-land friends... But there's also a part of me which is grateful to have this enforced break. A few weeks ago I read this essay in the SF Chronicle Book Review in which author Yiyun Li discusses spending less time on the web and more time reading books. This essay absolutely resonated with me.

What do you think? After reading the essay will you be reading fewer blogs and more books? I've been reading Ape House by Sara Gruen (she also wrote Water for Elephants.) In conjunction with Ape House, I'm reading Bonobo Handshake by Vanessa Woods and next up on my list is Day After Night by Anita Diamant (she's well known for writing The Red Tent.)

Are you reading any good books right now?

2 comments:

  1. I go in phases where I read and read and read, and then months go by where all I read is a magazine or two.
    My problem is that I hate wasting my time with books that don't resonate with me...I usually have to wait for a really good book recommendation before I get a book in my hands.
    I'll have to check out the ones you suggested. Having a new babe underfoot though is the perfect time to enjoy things like reading.
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, having a new baby "is the perfect time to enjoy things like reading"... ha! Even if I don't have a chance to shower every day (a little TMI re: personal hygiene), I always try to read for 5 or 10 minutes before I fall asleep at night. It's the one little thing I try to do for myself every day.

    ReplyDelete